We’ve got another Cajun recipe for you to warm your winter months, and it’s another classic Acadiana staple! The recipe for this savory southern icon was submitted by local chef Jesse Rider. It’s usually served over rice, but it’s also right at home on some french bread as a poboy—or just by itself.
Stew gravy is a dark, rich and thick sauce made from roux (a browned oil and flour mixture), cooked vegetables and meat. For the sake of saving time and effort, we recommend using Savoie’s ready-made dark roux. If you like your roux a certain way (or just have a sense of pride that means you never use pre-made roux), you’re welcome to make your own!
There are a few important things to remember as you prepare this recipe. The first is to add seasoning and flavor at every opportunity—and be sure to keep tasting it and making sure it’s seasoned to your liking. The second is to keep an eye on it: letting the heat get too high or failing to stir the gravy for too long will cause the bottom to burn and taste bitter and unpleasant. The final thing to remember is to make sure the roux is completely stirred into your hot water. We all love roux, but no one likes biting into a big chunk of it in the middle of a meal!
The best way to be sure that this meal is ready is not only by the tenderness of the meatballs and potatoes, but also the color and consistency of the gravy. If you’ve had this meal before you’ll know what to look for, but if not—you’ll want the gravy to be roughly the color of chocolate syrup and marginally thicker than the broth or water you add. If it seems a little runny—don’t worry! Stew gravy tends to thicken over time even after it’s been removed from the heat.
Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 sleeve of crackers (we like to use Ritz—but feel free to use your favorite)
- 2 eggs
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 tbsp Best Stop Cajun seasoning
For the gravy:
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Savoie’s Dark Roux
- 3-4 red potatoes
- Best Stop Cajun seasoning (to taste)
- 2 qts beef stock (or water)
- Toss the crackers in a food processor, pulverize them into breadcrumbs and add the eggs and seasoning.
- Remove the mixture from the processor.
- Put an onion, a bell pepper and 3 cloves of garlic in the food processor and run until almost smooth (do not drain).
- Add the vegetable mixture to the egg and breadcrumb mixture.
- Dice green onions and combine them with the mixture and both ground meats in a large bowl.
- Mix well by hand.
- Form mixture into tight spheres of whatever size you choose.
- Place the balls into a lightly greased, deep cast iron pot on medium heat, rotating them every 2-5 minutes until firm and brown on all sides.
- Remove meatballs from the pot and allow to rest (don’t take the pot off the heat).
- Dice the remaining onion, green bell pepper, jalapeño and cloves of garlic and put them into the pot from which you removed the meatballs.
- When the veggies have some color and all the debris from the meatballs has lifted from the bottom of the pot, add 2 quarts of stock or water.
- Once the liquid is hot, add a cup of roux and stir until it’s dissolved.
- Cut potatoes in half and add to the solution, tasting and adding seasoning as you go.
- Add meatballs and remaining liquid until the meatballs are completely submerged.
- Allow to cook on medium heat until potatoes and meatballs are tender.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
If you gave this Cajun recipe a try and liked it, let us know! Take a photo of the results and share it with us on social media, or simply let us know next time you see us at The Best Stop Supermarket. Be sure to check out the rest of our recipes as well!
Good, classic Cajun recipes are worth preserving and passing down. At The Best Stop, we take exceptional pride in making and sharing the traditional foods that define this region and its people. If you haven’t, come visit us and see what we’re all about—or order some of our products to be shipped to you anywhere in the country!