Cajun dirty rice (also known as rice dressing) is one of the simplest and tastiest traditional Cajun recipes to prepare. Made from white rice that is “dirtied” by being cooked alongside chicken liver, fatty cuts of pork or ground beef, dirty rice is one of our favorite dishes to prepare due to how easy it is to modify. Once you know how to make a classic Cajun dirty rice using one cut of meat, you’ll be able to easily make it with anything else.
For a true traditional Cajun dirty rice flavor, we recommend using our very own dirty rice dressing mix which is made with chicken liver, gizzards and pork. Best of all, it’s always made fresh and in-house, so you can ensure you’re getting top-quality Cajun ingredients.
Traditional Cajun Dirty Rice Ingredients:
1 can (14-ounce) of chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1 tablespoon bacon grease or vegetable oil
1/2 pound of ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup of finely chopped chicken livers (or Best Stop dressing mix)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Best Stop seasoning (or similar red pepper Cajun seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Remove 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and set aside. Pour remaining chicken broth in a medium saucepan over high heat with 1 1/2 cups water and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Add uncooked rice, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a separate large-rimmed pan or saucepot, heat bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and crumble it with a wooden spoon.
- Once the beef begins to crumble and break apart, add onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Cook everything over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are softened.
- Once the beef is brown and the vegetables are softened, add your chicken livers (or dressing mix) along with the garlic to the pan and continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Add salt, Cajun seasoning, and thyme, then give everything a quick stir to mix it together. Then, add the 1/2 cup of chicken broth you reserved earlier to the pan. After adding the stock, scrape the bottom of the pan to release all of the browned pieces stuck to the bottom. Let simmer 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf from rice and add rice to pan. While keeping the heat on, be sure to stir your rice mixture thoroughly. Once everything is combined well, remove from heat!
Shop our online store for all the Cajun specialty meats, seafood and sauces you need to make dinnertime, the BEST time!